Back in my mainstream cooking days, I used to make a very tasty Star Spangled Mousse Pie from Taste of Home. Unfortunately, it called for cream cheese, shortening and other not very healthy ingredients. I started thinking about how I could make this pie guilt-free. After all, many foods can be made healthy or unhealthy depending on the ingredients you use, and how you process them. After some thought, I came up with this recipe.
With organic, fair-trade chocolate, cashews, coconut, raw cacao, and more, this pie will be a hit at your Fourth of July party. It’s also really easy to make! Just make sure you set out the ingredients in advance, and assembly will be a snap. I use a 7-inch springform pan for this pie. Double the ingredients to make it a 9 inch cheesecake.
- This pie has a layer of nut crust, a layer of chocolate, a vanilla filling, and a fruit topping with white chocolate drizzle.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 6 medjool dates
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, organic
- Pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cacao butter shreds, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, organic
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- Pinch salt
- About 6 large ripe strawberries
- Handful of blueberries
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, melted*
- * Not vegan. Use melted cacao butter mixed with your favorite liquid sweetener, or omit altogether.
- Blend all the crust ingredients in a food processor until the crust sticks together when pressed between your fingers. Press in the bottom of a parchment-lined 7-inch springform pan, and set in the freezer.
- In a small, melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Spread the melted chocolate all over the crust, and set it back in the freezer.
- Blend the filling ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth. Every once in a while, mix the filling with a butter knife to ensure it all gets blended. Pour the filling on the crust and chocolate layer, and smooth by carefully jiggling the pan. Set in the freezer to set overnight.
- In the morning, get the cheesecake out of the freezer, and let it thaw in the fridge for about 4 hours.
- Before cutting, bring some water to a boil. Run a large knife under the hot water, then use it to cut through the cheesecake to make 8 slices. Rinse the knife with hot water after each cut.
- Arrange the strawberries and blueberries over the cheesecake to cover the top.
- Melt the white chocolate chips, and pour the melted chocolate in a small ziplock bag. Cut a corner with scissors, then drizzle white chocolate over the cheesecake.
- Enjoy! If you put the pie back in the fridge after drizzling with white chocolate, the white chocolate will harden and will need to be broken into pieces as you serve the slices.