Strawberry ice cream, and a crispy, rich chocolate shell… Need I say more? I guess I can also add that those on raw, vegan, paleo, and gluten free diet can indulge without guilt!
I created this recipe when Franklin was 3 years old. It looks fancy, but it’s really easy to make, even with a toddler trying to eat everything!
- For the Ice Cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 10 oz bag frozen strawberries, partially thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 t vanilla extract, organic
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1 T lucuma (optional)
- For the Cacao Nests:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup cacao butter shreds, melted, or 1/4 cup melted cacao butter
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 3 T grade B maple syrup
- Blend all the ice cream ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Process in the ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Makes 4 quarts.
- In a food processor, grind the almonds until finely chopped. Melt the cacao butter shreds, and
- mix in the cacao powder and honey until you get smooth melted chocolate.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped almonds with the coconut flakes, stir well, then pour in the
- melted chocolate. Mix the ingredients until well combined. Spread 1/4 cup up the sides of several
- individual tart pans lined with plastic wrap, until the mixture is used up (other small serving bowls
- large enough to accommodate a generous scoop of ice cream will work just fine). Refrigerate
- until firm, about an hour.
- Drop rounded scoops of finished ice-cream into each coconut nest. Serve immediately.